Thursday, October 20, 2011

The Many Shapes of Fashion

Yesterday was Thursday, and for those of you that follow fashion know what that means... Project Runway was on! I love me some Project Runway. One day I WILL meet Tim Gunn. And then I can die happily. Anyway, so Michael Kors made a comment to Joshua I think it was, and it was something about the silhouette of his garments. Now, up until the other day in class when we talked about this, I had no idea what they meant by silhouette. Thank goodness for Principles of Art and Design; because silhouette is kind of an important thing to know. So I figure that there are others out there that have no idea what people mean when they talk about silhouette. So I think I'll explain them on here :) it'll also help me remember what they all are. Of course I'll have picture examples :)

The first is a tubular silhouette. This is seen mostly in men's clothes. So it basically looks like you're wearing a big tube.
                               

The second is A-line. This means it's narrow at the top and wider at the bottom, like the shape of an "A"
                   

The third is an hourglass silhouette. This one isn't too hard to understand, the shoulders and hips are wider as the waist nips in. Classic style.
                                    

The fourth that is in the book is a wedge silhouette. This is the opposite of an A-line, the shoulders are wider and the hips are narrow.
                       

The fifth silhouette is the bell shape. That just means that the top streamlines down into the waist, then it goes down like an umbrella or like a bell
                                        


There are more silhouettes out there, but these are just the basic ones. I hope this helped someone out there :) it helped me at least.

Vivre la mode, tout le monde!

No comments:

Post a Comment