Friday, October 21, 2011

Fiber optic dresses

Chapter 6 is all about light, and how it is used in stores. But it is also about how light looks on a garment. But very briefly, it talks about lighting on garments. And i'm not just talking about how lighting reflects off of a garment, i'm talking about how light can be included ON a garment. As in a fiber optic garment. On page 169 there is a picture of what looks like a bandeau halter type shirt, all made of fiber optic material that lights up. Is this the new face of fashion? Light up clothes? I've heard of light up sneakers, but that's about it. But I saw this one show on a fashion network called My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding, and it was a British show, about these people that live as gypsies in London, Scotland, and places of the like. Anyway, these gypsies always go big or go home when they get married. It is required to have a big huge dress. This one particular episode, this girl (and she was literally just a girl, she was only 15. These gypsies always marry super young) had the hugest dress i've ever seen custom made. Oh, and it lit up. And it moved too. There were these huge butterflies on it, and when you flipped a swich, they would flap their wings. It was kind of awesome. The only scary thing was that her mom had to take a little fire extinguisher just in case the dress decided to catch fire. I would be so scared if i had to wear that.

Oh her veil lights up as well. You cant really see the butterflies, but theres one by her waist. I think the rest are on the back. But how crazy is that? Fiber optic clothes are so interesting. I'll put more pictures.
          
These are kind of sort of cool actually. Maybe that's gonna be the new thing. Maybe I need to start this trend. There could be some money in this...

Vivre la mode, tout le monde!

5 comments:

  1. This trend scares me a little bit! haha! I'm not sure exactly what to think about it. Obviously it is too extreme for everyday wear. Although I am all for fashion as an art form, I look at clothing's functionality. Why create these crazy garments that can never actually be worn? (well maybe by Lady Gaga haha). I do not see this taking off in anyway, just more as a fun random fad. But light on I guess!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This trend is probably not the most adorable style I have ever seen. However, for some people, it fits their style. I am fascinated about this fiber optic material. This type of material is definitely new, unique, and surprising.

    Do you like this particular trend? I can tell you think it is very crazy and different, but does this type of material appeal to you personally?

    I really enjoy this blog because of the use of a TV show for a college class. It truly is creative, unique, and exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That dress from My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding is crazy!!! How can she even wear that huge monstrosity!! The dresses on that show I dont think will ever catch on. I think that most people will not have light up elements on their everyday clothing because it could be a danger and they are not reasonable or comfortable for everyday life. However I do think we could be seeing some celebrities wearing these lighting outfits in the future especially lady gaga.

    For me this is not something that I would want to wear, but some people might love it. I think everyone should rock their own style.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know how I'd feel about wearing a fiber optics gown! Would that make the ultimate prom dress? Besides there or to a club I don't know how I would wear it!! I kind of like the top though, not going to lie. I definitely saw that episode of My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding and thought that girl was insane. Especially since she was worried about it catching on fire. I think that'd be the last thing I would want to worry about on my wedding day! Who knows, maybe this is the future in clothing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You saw this episode, Ashley? That's awesome! But yeah if I was a clubbing kind of person, a fiber optic tank would be like the coolest thing ever! But because I'm not, this isnt in my wardrobe. But yeah definitely, to each their own. I bet you anything, the next music award show that comes on, Lady Gaga will be rocking something fiber optic!

    ReplyDelete