Monday, October 17, 2011

Color me chartreuse?

A few weeks ago in my Principles of Art and Design class, we were discussing color, and all of the strange names that colors have. Like chartreuse, puce, cyan, vermillion and all that kind of stuff. The funny thing is, me and some of my band friends were actually talking about color tonight. In the dining hall we were in my friend was like "what color is that wall? is it green or black or what?" and my other friend replied "that's burnt sienna". I shot him a look because clearly that wall was not burnt sienna- that's a shade of brown. It was kind of an avocado green, but not really. It also resembled a forest green, but i didn't know what to say- anything other than your basic blue or green would confuse him. It occured to me that most people have no idea what colors go with the funny names. I just kind of found it interesting that people mistake chartreuse for blue, cyan for brown, and when I was little I used to think vermillion was a kind of animal instead of a reddish color.
I enjoy putting pictures on this thing, so to clarify:

Chartreuse is green:


Puce is purple:
                                       



Cyan is blue: 

     
Vermillion is red:


Just a question to those who might ever read this, do you think all the names of these colors are helpful? Or do you think they make more people confused and afraid of fashion because we have so many names for stuff? Well I think its possible all these color names and colors in general put people off, and i'm sure it confuses some people not fashion-savvy more than helps them. Especially guys, if you said you have a red scarf and a vermillion scarf and asked what's the difference, he would most likely say "the name is different." But on the other hand, if you are talking to another fashion person and said "a vermillion skirt with a puce top", not only would they understand, but they might cringe a bit for those colors don't really go together.

That was a daily dose of color :) Vivre la mode, tout le monde!

No comments:

Post a Comment