Thursday, March 7, 2013

So, what is a Dolman sleeve anyway?- Fashion Illustration #6

Bonjour tout le monde!

Aujourd'hui, je te parle a sujet de... Whoops! Sometimes I forget to switch my brain back to English after I have done my French homework lol. So today I am going to talk to you about a very important kind of sleeve- The Dolman. We talked about it in class when we discussed all kinds of sleeves. A Dolman sleeve is a sleeve set into a very low armscye; in fact, the armscye may extend to the waistline, in which case there will be no underarm seam in the top. It kind of almost gives you a batwing effect. I found this on the internet that I didn't know about Dolman's. "Dolman sleeves were very popular in ladies clothing during the Civil War. They had the effect of making the shoulders look sloped therefore minimizing the appearance of the waist." Wow, that makes total sense! You really can't tell where their waistlines are in these pictures. Look!

These are such cool sleeves! I love the fact that there is no underarm sleeve, so the amount of fullness can vary from a little to a lot depending on what you want.  I'm sure they would be flattering on most body types too. I think I have some shirts like this in my closet... somewhere lol. I feel like adding some more pictures!
Yay! That's all for me for now, bon nuit! (goodnight)

Vivre la mode, tout le monde!

No comments:

Post a Comment