Monday, March 11, 2013

Dirndls: funny name, serious garment- illustration #7

Howdy!

So I know this is really random, but I really like that sandwich restaurant Schlotzky's. They have such good food! Yummy! Anyway, I feel like an advertisement for Schlotzky's because their slogan is "Funny Name. Serious Sandwich", and my title is Funny Name, Serious Garment. Because today I am going to talk to you about a new word that I learned just recently, and it turns out to be the name of a garment.... Dirndl!!!! Yes, that is the name of it. Sounds like "surprise" in German or something lol. It's a really weird word, I know. I was really intimidated by it too. I was like "what is this crazy word??" Its pronounced [durn-dull] and it is simply a gathered skirt. WHOA! So this means that most American women have worn a dirndl at least once in their life, probably without knowing it?? Probably. I certainly didn't know that's what it was called. Now I feel more informed!

Anyway, Dirndl's are very important to society because they are simple to make, simple to draw, and they look good on most body shapes. You can make them fancy with nice material, or you can make them simple with some cotton and an elastic waistband.They also vary in length. So many options! The cool thing is, you can wear them with many things and through many different seasons, depending on the material and the length of course.

Here is a link to a trend report from 2012 on a cool fashion website which talks about dirndls! They were popular in the 50's and they made a comeback in 2012. Pretty cool, eh? I'll include some more pictures now :)

Like I said, you can go fancy like this Taffeta skirt

Or just a simple cotton checkered. So cute and retro!

This is from Forever 21 lol
This one is long but classic
I hope this has opened your eyes to the world of possibilities with Dirndls! See, it's not such a scary word after all :) Hope you enjoyed :)

Vivre la mode, tout le monde!

No comments:

Post a Comment