Saturday, March 2, 2013

Pants pants pants- illustration #5

Hi everyone!
Guess what we are talking about today? Surprise, we're talking about dogs. I like Yorkies and Collies and.... Kidding! We're talking about pants, as you might have guessed by my title. So because we are making pants in my tailoring class AND we have started drawing garments in my illustration class, I figured I would do a whole post devoted to them! And guess what, for women there are so many kinds, it gets confusing! Hopefully this will help. I will name some of the more popular styles, and I'll try to just stick to casual/ work wear, I won't get into athletic wear or anything. So, starting off with a bang... Pants are burficated! WHOA big word. Bifurcation means the splitting of a main body into two parts. Makes sense, most of us have two legs. When drawing pants, be sure to show the wrinkles! It makes things look much more realistic. So, I am now going to name some different kinds of pants, and hopefully this will help y'all when you are looking for your first pair of clamdiggers or maybe culottes come back in style in the future :)

*flood length means the area of leg higher than the ankle but longer than capris

Without further ado, a quick guide to women's pants!


Capris

Knickers- capri length, tied/ elastic at bottom



Clamdiggers- a little longer than Capris
Gauchos- Wide leg, *flood length* capris

Palazzo pants- floor length, wide legged pants


Culottes- wide legged, normal length capris

Cigarette pants- ankle length and slim fit
Harem- elastic at waist and ankle, very full at hips; like parachute pants

Jodhpur- full at hips, legs, and dropped crotch

 
Zouave- full in thigh and extreme dropped crotch


Dhoti- elastic waist, ankle, fullness throughout entire leg, and dropped crotch
Paper bag top trousers- normal trousers with gathered top
Trousers

Sailor pants- trousers with added front piece with decorative buttons


Whew! That was a lot! But hey, this should be really helpful to y'all "pants challenged" out there lol. I know I was before I came to this class! Hope you enjoyed :)

As always, vivre la mode tout le monde!

No comments:

Post a Comment