Sunday, March 10, 2013

Shoulder pads are still popular?!- tailoring #7

Hey hey hey my fabulous readers!

I think I am up to 4 followers now? Yeahhh! :) I'm so glad people are actually reading what I post and I'm not writing to empty space lol. So since y'all continue to support me, I'm gonna keep on posting about things :) So, in tailoring, we are continuing to work on our jackets. I forgot to tell y'all that we are making our own shoulder pads for our jacket. "Whaaaaaaat????? Logan, is this the 80's???? Why are you making shoulder pads???", you may be thinking. Let me assuage your fears, my friend! All tailored jackets have them silly :) Because most of the time tailored jackets have a set-in sleeves, you need that structure so the sleeves stand upright. You don't want them falling in like a soufflĂ©, do you? No :) So in class, we made our own shoulder pads out of Pel-On, this brand of stiff interfacing, and some thick felt. They look something like this, only ours have an extra section that extends off the front in order to give the front of the jacket some more structure. Sometimes women have a dip between where the shoulder is to where the chest/ rib cage begin, right on the front part of the shoulder socket. I hope that description makes sense... I'm not in any medical terminology classes lol. Anyway, we need that extra part of interfacing to smooth out that dip, so that the lapel on our jacket lies flat. 


What's inside a shoulder pad


Okay, these 80's shoulder pads might be a little frightening. But I'm going to prove to you, shoulder pads aren't scary!
Nice!

I love a good motocross jacket 
See how nice those look? Hey, fun fact, the more you define your shoulders, the smaller your waist will look. Having the shoulders look longer makes the waist appear smaller in comparison, because you're drawing the eye up and outwards.  Here's a normal looking jacket with shoulder pads.

This pink jacket is so pretty :) I want it. The shoulder pads give just the right amount of structure and definition without going crazy. 



Even back in the 40's (ish) era, they had shoulder pads. Still looks great, even back then.



And the shoulder pads just add to this lady's completely awesome vibe. She looks like she could take over the world or something. Broader shoulders evoke confidence too... Just look at her! She looks powerful!

I love this so much
FUR

So I hope this helps you get over your fear of shoulder pads. They really are necessary! Now, some people do take them a little far. But hey, to some people that's a great thing. To others, it's insane. That's the thing about fashion. Everyone has their own point of view and the styles and trends change lightning fast. To quote Heidi Klum, "one day you're in, and the next day you're out".

Vivre la mode, tout le monde!

No comments:

Post a Comment