Saturday, January 24, 2015

Uffizi gallery

Florence is just so crazy beautiful. We have a great view out of our window of cute yellow buildings and the top of the Duomo... Not too shabby! It's really quiet in the mornings actually, we aren't close to busy streets so you can hear people below whistling tunes, and you can smell bacon cooking from nearby apartments. So adorable. Anyway, here's what we did today.

-After lots of sleep, the jet lag wasn't too bad actually! I expected to feel awful for days, but I didn't. Cool!

-We have a strange bathtub/shower combination in our hotel. I've renamed it a "bower". I call the bidet a "buttbath". No explanation needed.

-We went walking and found another adorable store for lunch, we had these yummy sandwiches. We always have to ask if the servers speak English because our Italian obviously quite awful, but we try. I say some of my order in Italian, and so do my parents. My dad got this cute little sandwich, and since he is trying to learn the language he asks "how do you say this?" And the waitress goes "umm... Mini sandwich? I don't know..." And everybody just busted up laughing including her coworkers. We were like "wow italian is so easy!" Silly. Good thing things like that are the same in both languages.

-We then walked around town, and stumbled upon the Galleria Degli Uffizi which is an incredible museum housing thousands of works from Renaissance  masters to amazing sculptures. We spent all day in there and we didn't even make it all the way around! It was crazy beautiful. 

-more pictures to come. But, it was super cool that some plaques said when the pieces were acquired... Some had been there since the 1700's!!!! I even saw some works that I had studied in school, which is always super cool. My favorite one was the Birth of Venus by Botticelli, because it was huge! I actually didn't know it was that big. It was beautiful!!! The Medici family created an amazing space to house beautiful art. They had early art from like the Duecenti period, from the Trecento, through Renaissance art, and I think the most modern one I saw was in the 1800's. There was Titian, there was Rembrant, there was Rubens, DaVinci, Michelangelo, Goya, Gentileschi,  and there was more but that's all I can remember at the moment. Anyway, it was just insane how beautiful everything was , so cool. 

-We saw a guy standing in front of a renaissance portrait of a man sketching it in a sketchbook, and he was either an art major at school, a professional artist, or just some really talented dude... Because his drawing was absolutely amazing. Everyone is talented here. Ugh so awesome. So much beauty.
-then we walked to find a place for dinner and we met this really nice waiter that spoke great english. He made jokes that were were from Texas all night, but the funny thing was he had friends that lived there. How random is that. He was very nice to us. Dinner was awesome. Dessert was tiramisu and that was tasty. I tasted my dad's espresso and it was disgusting, and I also tried Limincello, and it was also disgusting lol. Well I won't be drinking those while I'm here lol. I won't be drinking much wine either. Oh well. At least the dinner was tasty! 

-There are literally street artists and street musicians everywhere but it is super cool because they are all so talented. There was this one guy that played the guitar and he was so good! Just chillin outside, by some statues like it's casual. So cool.  

-Super fun day! I'm sure there was more stuff to talk about but I'm kind of tired and that's all I can remember. If I remember anything I'll go back and type it. 
Buonanotte!

No comments:

Post a Comment