Friday, January 23, 2015

First day in Firenze!

Hi!

I'M FINALLY IN FLORENCE!!!! Let me just say, that it feels so good actually being here after months and months of planning, stress, paperwork, freaking out, and other things. Our flight was a little stressful...

-We went from Dallas to Georgia; Georgia to Amsterdam; Amsterdam to Florence. So it was about one day completely of flying, which is weird because I have no clue what day it is. Also, what is time? I'm so confused... Lol.

-Dallas to Georgia was delayed by a few hours, so once we landed there we had to legit SPRINT all the way across the airport to make our connection to Amsterdam. We ran. Like crazy people. It was so awkward, we were those people that board the plane last and that you glare at. But, praise Jesus, we managed to get on the plane a mere 5 minutes before they were scheduled to take off! Aw yeahh. And, international flights are fun! Thank Jesus that was the only problem we had the whole time. The rest of the flights were good!

-Amsterdam is very interesting and very pretty. Lots of diverse people, all different races and ages, I also heard so many different languages. That was cool! Also, it was cold as butt there. 21 degrees upon landing :O luckily we didn't stay long. Someday I'll go back and see more than just the airport!

- Finally made it to Florence around 12pm their time. Driving is interesting over there, they drive pretty insanely. It's worse than downtown Houston, which I didn't think was actually possible. They all cut each other off, disregard the lanes and just drive around each other with very little use of the turn signal. But, nobody gets hit! It's a miracle. I don't get it. Also, people run out between cars just like it's no big deal... Except for the fact that, you know, you could die. But whatever. Our taxi driver didn't hit anybody.

-Our hotel is cute!!! We have a view of the Duomo, and about 10 paces away is the Arno river, and in sight in the Ponte Vecchio bridge. I will be crossing the Ponte Vecchio every day, because my apartment is actually on the Oltrarno side, opposite of my school. Pretty sweet. We are also near the Uffizi museum, and some other cool stuff.

-We ate lunch at this little caffe, which had great food. We all had a sort of flatbread with meat and cheese on it, which they called grilled breads. So good! Also, super random but the music in there was all hit American songs, in English, but covered by eithe an Italian lady or maybe a girl group. So funny! So Bruno Mars, Coldplay, Eurythmics, Kings of Leon and other random stuff but they slowed it down with a more jazzy/ bluesy feel to them. It was hilarious, and of course the singers had accents so it was strange hearing our music redone like that.

-I also like that Italians take their time with food. It's so tasty, you have to! We saw people chatting to their friend or significant other and just sit there for hours and talk and eat.

-People are really nice here, very kind. And most speak English which is cool. I don't know much Italian but I'll try occasionally.

-We then came back and crashed. I passed out for just hours. I've never been this tired before.

-Mom and dad when out later for sweets and came back with cannolis and doughnuts, and they were so very very very very tasty. Oh gosh. I will not get fat on this trip, I will not. I must keep reminding myself that... Lol.

-Tomorrow we shall explore! Yay! Sleepy time now, goodnight! 

No comments:

Post a Comment