Thursday, November 8, 2012

Sleeves- Apparel design 1

Hello blog readers,

I feel like talking about sleeves today. Not the tattoos! No no lol. I mean sleeves on garments. When I was around 15 or 16, starting to become more fashionably aware, I thought that sleeves were for old people who wanted to cover up their arms. And because I was just starting to discover how clothes looked on the body, I thought that sleeves weren't for younger people, unless it was cold outside. Even then, I would want to wear something short sleeved under a jacket, because that is what everyone did. (Young teenager fashion doesn't really make any sense lol, that explains why I stood out in high school- I dressed better than most :p) But now that I am older and wiser (in regards to fashion at least, in life- definitely not.) I see that sleeves are just another dimension to a garment. Short, cap, 3 quarter length, long, raglan, puff, kimono, mutton leg, bell, and that's just the tip of the iceberg for the many different varieties of sleeves there are out there. Picture time, then I'll talk about other materials being used in the sleeves on the runway.

Flutter sleeves
Bell
On the runway recently, what's trending now is lace sleeves and even mesh. They are a way of creating a design on the garment but still having skin show through, so you can see the design better. Also, it is an interesting concept for spring or summer looks- having sleeves but they don't add much weight. 







I hope this inspires you to think of sleeves as a design element as opposed to just something functional!
Vivre la mode, tout le monde!

No comments:

Post a Comment