Wednesday, October 17, 2012

If pirates had peg legs, did they wear peg skirts? -Apparel design 1

Argggh! I mean... Hi everyone :) 

Seems like I have pirates on the brain tonight. I also have peg skirts on my mind. Pirates... pegs... Oooh I have a joke.Where does the Pirate get his coffee? Starrrrrrrrrrrbucks! Haha :) I just had to. Anyway, we talked about peg skirts one day in my fashion class, and I had never heard of them, except for the pictures of patterns in the book. So I figured I'd do some research and report my findings to you.
 So let's teleport back into the early 1900's when the styles of clothing were on the cusp of changing drastically. This look was popular from 1908-1914 and at various points throughout the century. A peg skirt or peg top was modeled after men's peg trousers, which were wide at the hip and tapered off towards the ankle. The peg top was most striking with women's clothes, and it was used in skirts, tops, and suits. "The  look could be subtle, with soft billows at the hips narrowing to a close fitting, but not restrictive, hemline. But the peg top look that got the most attention was anything but subtle". The peg top is a great way to change the shape of garments and the silhouette of the body, giving any outfit some cool visual intrigue. 

Picture time!









I am kind of in love with this yellow dress on the bottom. The silhouette is so visually interesting! And I know that gray skirt on the left side is really crazy and over exaggerated, but it's a super awesome representation of a peg skirt.

Thanks to this fashion encyclopedia for the information! Check out the website! Click here

So I hope y'all found this as interesting as I did! Vivre la mode, tout le monde!

No comments:

Post a Comment