Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Gotta love pockets!- Apparel design 1

Bonjour :)

Nowadays it seems like everything is based on appearance, especially when it comes to buying clothes. "Is this in style?" "Oh that color was so last year." "That silhouette is so Audrey Hepburn!" "Does this make my hips look big?" There are other things that factor into a garment than just appearance, and  I feel that it is unfortunate that people have to sacrifice comfort sometimes in order to wear what is deemed fashionable. I think we should bring back the comfort and functionality aspect of clothing. People want to be comfortable, not inhibited by the garments on their body. You should be able to do the same things you want to do in a pair of slacks that you would want to do in a pair of skinny jeans. Know what I mean? I'm just going to talk about functionality. Clothes should move with you! You know, whenever I look at a garment (now maybe this is just me, because I've been in so many fashion classes) I think of functionality. So when I look at jeans, I need a big back pocket because I like to put my phone back there when I need a free hand for something. So... today's post is going to be about pockets :) because I love them. Whoever thought to put pockets in prom dresses and cocktail dresses was a GENIUS. When you're dancing at a formal event, you don't want someone to steal your phone or your money that you left at your table, so with these pockets you can keep it on you! What a great idea. Another thing that makes me mad is fake pockets. It's like I try to put something in there and try to get my finger between the garment and the pocket, and there's a seam there! Lies! Pockets need to work people! I like putting lots of things in there, just for fun! Like gum. Everyone needs gum on their person right? Hooray for pockets if you don't wan't to carry a purse to an event, you can keep it all in your pockets. So there are many different kinds of pockets: outside, inserted, welt, flapped, besom, patch, bellows, ticket, in seam, front hip, and many more! They're so versatile and functional, i think more garments should have pockets. And not those fake ones either- shenanigans! I want to put things in there. Picture time!

This is crazy cute

Yay back pockets!

Genius! You can put a camera in there and take pictures on the dance floor




Okay so that is my rant on pockets, I just felt like I had to express my love of pockets in dresses. So smart! I just can't get over it. When I make my wedding dress someday, there will be pockets. You bet your sweet bippy there will be! Okay I must go finish some homework for one of my other classes now, in the mean time... as always...
Vivre la mode, tout le monde!

No comments:

Post a Comment